Ghazal Alagh is a prominent Indian entrepreneur and Mamaearth co-founder (beauty brand). In India, Mamaearth is the fastest growing personal care brand that has reached the heights of 500 crores within 4 years of its launch. Mamaearth has a wide range of products, including face creams, hair masks, hair oil, face wash, etc.
As a judge, she has been highly admired on the trending reality show Shark Tank India. Shark Tank in India is a business reality show on SonyLIV where different entrepreneurs are selected to pitch for their business, and the judges (shark) decide whether to buy stakes or not.
Born on September 12 1988, Ghazal Alagh’s age is 34 years (2022). Ghazal Alagh qualification includes Post graduation from Punjab University. She got married to Varun Alagh in 2011. Soon after her marriage, she gave birth to a son named Agastya Alagh, who became an inspiration for the foundation of Mamma Earth in 2016.
How was mamaearth started? She was highly concerned about her son’s skin that suffered from allergies to different products. That moment, she flashed with an idea of her own brand. she planned to launch non-toxic and chemical-free products for babies, which came out as Honasa Consumer Pvt. Ltd. (mama earth and TheDerma Co.). It became a huge success not only in India but also in Nepal and Bangladesh. The co-founder was her husband, Varun Ghazal.
As a wise lady, she chose different brand ambassadors for her brand promotion like Shilpa Shetty (2019), Sara Ali Khan, Amrita Singh and Samantha Ruth Prabhu (famous for her role in Pushpa)
Ghazal Alagh Personal Details
|DOB||12Th September 1988|
|Age||34 years (2022)|
|Father’s name||Kailash Sahni|
|Mother’s name||Sunita Sahni|
|Brother’s name||Chirag Sahni|
|Sister’s name||Sahiba Chauhan|
|Profession||Entrepreneur and a Corporate Trainer|
|Husband’s name||Varun Alagh|
|Marriage date||January 28 2011|
|Children||Agastya Ghazal (son)|
|Hobbies||Painting and Reading Books|
Physical Stats and more
Ghazal Alagh Education
- Ghazal Alagh qualification includes her graduation from Punjab University with a bachelor’s in computer applications in 2010.
- However, she completed her summer intensive course in modern art in design and applied arts.
- In addition, she took an intensive course in figurative art at the New York Academy of Art.
Ghazal Alagh Career Timeline
Trainer at NIIT limited in 2008
After her graduation, she joined NIIT limited in Chandigarh in 2008. She was a trainer for software applications like SQL, J2ME, and Oracle.
In 2012, she came up with a website, “dietexpert.in”, with customized diets according to weight, age, lifestyle and blood group. As a result, she gained 2K followers.
Launched MamaEarth in 2016
MamaEarth was the turning point in her life. It was launched in 2016 with Co-Founder Varun Alagh. MamaEarth is famous for having wide variety of chemical free baby care products like creams, lotions and shampoo. With increase in its demand, she also launched skin care products for adults too like face wash, cream, lotion etc.
Launched The Derma Co. in 2020
She and her husband, Varun Alagh, co-founded The Derma Co., including products like face wash, face gel, creams, and many more. Pareeniti Chopra is the brand ambassador.
The products can be shopped according to your skin concerns like acne, open pores, acne marks and pigmentation.
Their official page contains skin assessment that helps you to know about skin problems and then the products are recommended accordingly. The Derma Co. claims for the result in 6-8 Weeks.
Judge at Shark tank India in 2021
In 2021, she came to the entertainment world through the highly popular Indian show Shark Tank India. She was one of the judges among six others, namely Ashneer Grover (MD and Co-Founder of BharatPe), Anupam Mittal (Founder & CEO of People Group), Aman Gupta (Co-Founder & CMO of BoAt), Vineeta Singh (CEO & Co-Founder of Sugar Cosmetics), Namita Thapar (Executive Director at Emcure Pharma), and Peyush Bansal (Founder & CEO of Lenskart.com).
Shark tank in India is inspired by Shark tank America, which was aired on December 9 2009, on American broadcasting company.
How much is Ghazal Alagh paid per episode? –Ghazal Alagh won millions of heart with her humble nature on the Shark Tank India. She was taking home 8 Lacs per episode which was the second highest payment after Ashneer Grover.
Ghazal Alagh Investments
Ghazal Alagh has strategically invested in different companies through Shark Tank India.
- Watt Technovations (₹101 for 4% Equity)- Covid- Tech ventilation system that is effective yet protective.
- Wakao Foods (₹75 lakhs for 21% Equity)- Jackfruit meat is gluten-free, certified vegan and does not contain hormones or GMO.
- Humpy A2 (₹1 Crore for 15% Equity)- Producer and manufacturer of organic products.
- Gold Safe Solutions (₹50 lakhs for 30% Equity)-
- Sunfox Technologies (₹1 crore for 6% Equity) – A small compact device that helps people know their BP, ECG and Blood Sugar Level.
- The Sass Bar (₹50 lakhs for 35% Equity) – customized soaps.
Ghazal Alagh Net Worth
Ghazal Alagh’s valuation increases by 8.4% to 17.9% every year with her Net Worth of $17 Million (148 crores in Indian Rupees).
Awards and Honour
- 2018-2019- She received the best brand of the year award for MamaEarth.
- 2019- She was under 40 in “under 40 achievers of India”.
- 2019- She received super startup Asia awards.
- 2020- 2021- She won the PWI Next Gen woman Entrepreneur of the year award.
- She was also part of the cover page of Forbes Magazine with her husband, Varun Alagh.
Ghazal Alagh Family
Her family consist of:
- Father- Kailash Sahni
- Mother- Sunita Sahni
- Brother- Chirag Sahni
- Sister- Sahiba Chauhan
In 2011, she got married to Varun Alagh, the co-founder of mamaearth, and before that, he was employed in Hindustan Unilever Ltd. and Coca Cola Company. They both started MamaEarth and The Derma Co. together.
Ghazal Alagh Children
She gave birth to a son Agasthya Alagh. He was the turning point in his parents’ life as they both came up with the toxic-free beauty brand MamaEarth to nourish their child’s skin with care and hygiene.
Ghazal Alagh Interests
- Love for art
As we know, she joined an art college for further studies. Therefore, she also perceives her artwork nationally and internationally with her business. Most of the paintings are not for sale. Moreover, she was recognized among the top 10 women artist of India.
She has inked a tattoo on her back and flaunted it on her Instagram post. Presently she has 257K followers.
- A wanderlust
Agra, Goa, Jammu Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, turkey, Switzerland, France and many more. She loves to travel to different places and explore to the fullest. She never forgets to upload her best moments on social media like Instagram.
- MamaEarth selling strategy converted into a controversy in 2019 when the marketing was also done on fitness YouTube channels and cooking channels. All the customers rushed to buy them and ended up realizing that it was not as good as marketed. In the end, Ghazal Alagh MamaEarth’s review was a mix of its effectiveness and ineffectiveness among consumers.
- Ghazal Alagh and her husband Varun Alagh organized a party even after the Shark Tank India season 1 ended. They invited all her close friends, including Ashneer Grover, Aman Gupta and Peyush Bansal.
- Her hard work and popularity has led her company to enter in Unicorn 2022 list. The term Unicorn currently refers to a startup that reaches a valuation of $1 billion.She announced in January that her company Honasa consumer ltd. (Parent company of mamaearth and TheDerma Co.) has raised the funds of $52million in a round led by Sequoia at a valuation of $1.2 billion.
- Additionally, According to The Economic Times, on February 16 2022- Ghazal Alagh had announced that her company MamaEarth had taken over BBlunt (Haircare and styling products) from Godrej Consumer Product limited.
A piece of advice from Ghazal Alagh to all businesswomen around the world- “Be kind to yourself, be okay with a B in something, and take out time for feminine inside you.”
What is your take on Ghazal Alagh and her brand MamaEarth? Let us know in our comment box.