A dream does not become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination, and hard work.Colin Powell (65th United States Secretary of State)
These lines are meant for the BharatPe co-founder (Indian fintech company) Ashneer Grover, who was recently seen as a judge on Shark Tank India Show, which was aired on Sony liv in December 2021.
Shark Tank is a business reality show where entrepreneurs are selected to pitch for their business, and sharks (judges) decide whether to buy stakes or not. Ashneer Grover, with 6 other judges took decisions for the investments.
Judges of Shark Tank India 2021
|Anupam Mittal||Founder of People Group|
|Namita Thapar||Executive Director of Emcure pharmaceuticals|
|Aman Gupta||Co-Founder & CMO of BoAt|
|Vineeta Singh||CEO & Co-Founder of Sugar Cosmetics|
|Ghazal Alagh||founder of MamaEarth|
|Peyush Bansal||Founder & CEO of Lenskart.com|
Let us view every single detail of his personal life.
|Date of Birth||14 June 1982|
|Age (2022)||40 years|
|Height||170 cm 5’7” inches|
|Weight||75 kg approx.|
|Hair color||Salt and Pepper (Silver color alongside black or dark brown)|
|Net Worth||700 crores|
|Known For||BharatPe Founder, Judge of Shark Tank India|
|Social Networks||Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn|
|Cars||Porsche Cayman S, Mercedes Maybach S650, Mercedes Benz GLS 350, Audi A6|
Ashneer Grover Education
Indian Institute of Technology (2000-04)
Ashneer Grover was born and bought up in Delhi. His parents motivated him to pursue his education at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi. Therefore, he chose B.Tech in civil engineering and excelled in all the college activities.
Besides being a rank holder, he was also nominated as an exchange student for the university of INSA, Lyon, France. He was rewarded with 6000 scholarships from French Embassy for his excellent performance.
Indian Institute of Management (2004-06)
For further education in Finance, he cleared CAT (Common Admission Test) in the first attempt, which is the entrance exam for MBA aspirants and joined the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (IIM) in 2004, top college among all other IIM’s in India.
Ashneer Grover Career Timeline
|Kotak financing bank||March 2006 May 2013||Vice President (7 Years)|
|Corporate Development of America Express||March 2013- March2015||Director- Corporate Development|
|Grofers( blinkit)||March 2015-August 2017||Chief Financial Officer|
|P.C Jeweller limited||November 2017- October 2018||Head of New Business|
|Bharatpe||20 Mar 2018||BharatPe CEO|
Kotak Mahindra Bank
He worked at Kotak Mahindra Bank for 7 years as the vice president, where he completed his 10 deals with the value of $10 Billion. Recently, he had a controversy with the same bank in January 2022 for threatening the bank employee as the bank was not ready to provide him a 500 crore funds for the investment in Shares of Nykaa IPO.
Ashneer joined as the Director of America Express. He gained experience in online payments and fintech systems in India, which was very helpful for his own Startup, BhartPe. He was employed as Corporation development for Amex India and lead Series B in Mobiwik.
After completing 2 Years in American Express, he switched to work as a Chief Financial Officer at Grofers (now known as Blinkit). He worked effortlessly with the owner Albinder Dhindsa to make the company reach where it is today. The combination of two intellectuals raised $ 170 million from Softbank, Tiger, Sequoia and Yuri Milner.
To gain knowledge in the business field, he switched to the jewelry company, P.C. jewellers, as the head of the new business. The company excelled in retail outlets, but Ashneer’s responsibility was to grow the E-Commerce website to provide excellent services to its consumers.
However, all his experience from banking to Fintect to E-commerece job prepared him for his own startup BharatPe in 2018 with the co-founders Shashwat Nakrani and Bhavik Koladiya.
BhartPe is an online payment app for easy payment through Q.R. code with no transition charges for the online payments.
Initially, his family used to stick posters and pamphlets at restaurants for the marketing of BharatPe. Still, when they revisited the same place, it wasn’t there, which disappointed his son.
However, Ashneer never gave up on his dream and made it a big brand with his co-founders Shashwat Nakrani and Bhavik Koladiya, who provided the technology to the company.
Recently, the company has expanded its business of providing loans to small retail merchants through Bharatpe App.
Shark Tank India
After gaining massive profit through 1 million downloads from Playstore, BharatPe co- founder was invited to judge the famous show Shark Tank India with 6 other renowned judges. Unbelievably, he was the wealthiest shark among all the other sharks, with a Net worth of 700 Crores.
Unlike other judges, he was very blunt with his words and a highly calculative person with the highest payment of 10 Lacs per episode. He earned the maximum amount from per day show when compared with other 6 judges.
At the beginning of 2022, he becomes the talk of the town on social media through his sharp responses to different pitches.
Shark Tank meme template – Many memes are going viral on different social platforms related to the show and Ashneer Grover’s outspoken behavior. Let us go through some of the trending memes.
Ashneer Grover Investments
Not only he used to dig out all the information about different companies but also calculated the investment and asked for at least 12% of interest from the entrepreneurs.
However, Ashneer Grover has invested in around 55 StartUps.
- EasyRewardz (Loyalty)
- Egregore Labs (Trading Analytics)
- Atom Finance (Investing Tools)
- LenDen Club (P2P NBFC)
- AngelList India (Investing)
- M2P (Card Issuance)
- Uni (Consumer Credit)
- Credgenics (Collection Saas)
- Bira 91 (Alcobev)
- Nazara (Gaming)
- Meddo (Primary Healthcare)
Ashneer Grover Net Worth
Ashneer Grover came out to be the most richest shark among six other judges with the net worth of 700 crores. He took all the experience of fintech company, and online marketing that helped him to achieve the position he is at.
Ashneer Grover Family
Ashneer Grover Parents
Father’s name- N/A (Chattered accountant)
Mother name- N/A (Teacher)
Ashneer Grover Wife
Madhuri Jain Grover (Marriage Date – 4 Jul 2006)
- She worked as an interior designer in 2017 at Shivalik Group (a family business).
- In 2018, she joined BharatPe as the head of control in the company. She stated that his husband needed the support of an experienced member from his family who could look upon the H.R. work and Finance.
- She even shared her experience about the efforts put in by the whole family to promote BharatPe like – her son used to stick posters at Merchant’s shop, and after revisit, they did not find the same Pamphlet on the wall, which made their son highly disappointed.
- She is highly popular on Instagram with 14.8K followers and active on LinkedIn.
Ashneer Grover Children
Ashneer Grover Wife And Children
Ashneer Grover gave birth to two children. A younger son is named Avy Grover, while the elder daughter’s name is Mannat Grover.
Ashneer Grover Awards
- In 2019, Ashneer got an opportunity to represent BharatPe and India cashless at the well-known platform, Asia Pacific initiative Forum.
- In 2021, He attained the entrepreneur of the year award.
- In 2021, BharatPe won the Emerging Company of the year award.
- In 2021, Fortune included him in list of 40 India’s bright business mind.
Ashneer Grover Controversies
- Paytm and PhonePe V/s BharatPe – BharatPe owner tried to build his power by distributing pamphlets and flyers targeting Paytm and PhonePe, portraying Paytm with the Chinese flag (due to Alibaba company investment) and PhonePe with the U.S. flag (investment by US-based Walmart). These issues reached the RBI soon.
- Suffix war with Paytm 2021– In 2019, PhonePe filed a case against BharatPe for using the same suffix (Pe) in Delhi High court. In 2021, the plea was rejected, and BharatPe continued with the same name.
- Threatening audio clip 2022– The Kotak Mahindra Bank has alleged that Ashneer Grover and his wife Madhuri Jain Grover abused their employee through a Twitter account named @BabuBango. Ashneer clearly claimed it to be fake.
The primary reason for this threat was the refusal of the bank to give shares worth 500 crores for investment in the Nykaa IPO.
After this controversy, he officially declared his voluntary leave until March 2022.
- Stake on sale 10 Feb 2022– According to Economic Times, “Ashneer Grover is in talks with the investors to sell his 9.5% of stakes which is worth 4000 crores, after the threatening audio clip controversy in January 2022.”
Unknown Facts About Ashneer Grover
- He earns approx. 10 lakhs per episode from Shark Tank India.
- Nevertheless, Ashneer has been seen flaunting his house through his Instagram post. The worth of this bungalow in Delhi is around 30 crore, India Times News Report.
In 2021, a few cricketers were assigned as the brand ambassador of BharatPe, including Rohit Sharma, Jasprit Bumrah, KL Rahul, Mohammed Shami, Ravindra Jadeja, Suresh Raina, Shreyas Iyer, Prithvi Shaw, Sanju Samson, Yuzvendra Chahal, and Shubhman Gill.
View this post on Instagram
View this post on Instagram
Let us know about your thoughts on his journey from the Vice President of Kotak Mahindra Bank to selling all his stakes of BharatPe.
The Co-Founder of BharatPe is Ashneer Grover and Shashwat Nakrani. A fintech company that was established in 2018 giving a tough competition to PhonePe and Paytm.
The income generated from BharatPe was very less during its establishment but then company started to provide loans and very low rate of interest making huge amount of profits.
Out of 7 judges, the richest shark (judge) is Ashneer Grover with net worth of 21,300 crores followed by Namita Thapar