As Sonia Singh was born on 21st September 1970, her present age is 53 years. When she started working with NDTV India, she initially worked as a researcher and then as an Editorial Director.
Biography of Sonia Singh
Sonia Singh has always gained popularity as a news anchor and an Editorial Director with NDTV India. Apart from covering the current news worldwide, she has covered more about the Parliament Attack, the 26/11 attack, and the Kandahar hijack.
|Full Name||Sonia Singh|
|Date of Birth||21st September, 1970|
Family Life and Education
Born on 21st September 1970 and brought up in New Delhi, Sonia Singh has always followed the traditions of the Hindu religion. While she grew up with great love and care, her parents always supported what she wanted to pursue in life.
Sonia Singh completed her early education at the Convent School of Jesus & Mary. Soon after clearing her 10th standard exams successfully, she pursued her graduation from St. Stephens College, Delhi. Later, she also completed her Master’s Degree in English Literature from the same college.
Besides, Sonia has also received a scholarship of three months to study Italian in Perugia. As Sonia sought admission is a college in Italy, the Government of Italy granted this scholarship. Apart from everything else, Sonia was also allowed to study in the UK with the Chevening Scholarship. As she paced ahead with her studies in the UK, she pursued a course in broadcast journalism at Cardiff.
|Sonia’s Mother’s Name||Not Known|
|Sonia’s Father’s Name||Not Known|
|Sonia’s Siblings||Not Known|
|School||Convent School of Jesus & Mary|
|College||St. Stephens College, Delhi|
|Qualification||M.A. in English Literature|
In December 2002, this journalist married Ratanjit Pratap Narain Singh, the leader of the Congress Party. But now, Mr. Singh has submitted his resignation letter to Sonia Gandhi in January 2022, and he plans to work with the BJP. As Sonia stays with her husband, she nurtures three daughters, Yaamini, Suhaani, and Raagini. While Yaamini is 16 years old, Suhaani is 12 years old, and Raagini is nine years old.
Career of Sonia Singh
Soon after completing her higher studies, Sonia joined NDTV India in 1992. Initially, she began her career as a researcher with the news channel. But, as years passed by, the team of NDTV considered her for the role of Editorial Director. She also serves as an anchor for the shows, ‘The News’ and ‘NDTV Dialogues.’ In the past three decades, Sonia has also interviewed famous leaders like Hillary Clinton, Dalai Lama, Mohammed Yunus, and Kailash Satyarthi. Besides, she has also played the role of a host for numerous Sr. government leaders across India.
While hosting ‘NDTV Dialogues,’ she has gained the experience of comprehending many issues and presenting several solutions. In addition, to being an Editorial Director, Sonia is also the President of the ethics committee. But, with NDTV India, the journalist presented herself initially in the show, ‘The World This Week.’ ‘India Decides’ and ‘Your Call’ are also some of the other shows for which she has become famous on the news channel. On the other hand, Sonia has also covered news regarding the 26/11 attacks, the Parliament Attack, the Jessica Lall case, the Kargil War, and the Kandahar hijack.
As Sonia Singh moves ahead in her career, she has got many awards for her presentation skills. In 2015, she was honored with the best Editor in Chief award, with many nominated for the EMBA (Employer Brand Management Awards). She was also given the Best Talk Show, FICCI young achiever, and the Best Anchor award. ‘India 60 minutes,’ ‘NDTV Dialogues,’ ‘India Decides,’ and ‘Your Call’ are some of the talk shows on which Sonia has been the host.
Perceptions Regarding Journalism
At the e4m English Journalism 40 Under 40 Summit and Awards event, Sonia Singh was involved in an interaction with Naziya Alvi Rahman. As the chat session moved ahead, she said that individuals shouldn’t pursue journalism just for the sake of Television Rating Points (TRPs). In fact, the journalist said that people should consider something other than TRP as one of the factors in gauging journalism. Apart from such views, Sonia Singh also shared advice for youngsters who want to advance in journalism.
She said that if someone aspires to have a great journalism career, he should first be a journalist. Later, he should think about being an Editor only when he thinks he’s capable of representing the editorial values of the associated group. When she joined NTDV India, she was actually passionate about her profession in journalism. Hence, she firmly believes that if young individuals want to make a career in journalism, then they must move ahead not with the aim of making good money.
They should also not think that they will lead an affluent lifestyle if they shine in their career. Instead, young professionals should commence working as journalists at the news desk. After attaining years of experience in the field, they will only learn and be confident of advancing in their career. With experience and the awards that Sonia received, she also said that her journey with NDTV India was quite incredible.
Sonia Singh Net Worth
Sonia Singh has consistently been earning well as soon as she commenced her career in journalism. While Sonia Singh draws a decent salary for presenting shows and news, her net worth is estimated at Rs. 12.3 crores.
|Net Worth in Rupees||Rs. 12.3 crores (estimated)|
|Net Worth in Dollars||1.5 million USD (estimated)|
Personality of Sonia Singh
Sonia always appears presentable when she is anchoring any talk show. Even though Sonia is 1.66 m tall, her body weight equals 55 kg.
|Height in centimetres||166 m|
|Height in metres||1.66 m|
|Height in feet||5 ft. 4 inches|
|Weight in pounds||121 pounds|
Hobbies and Interests
Even when Sonia Singh is busy with her daily routine, she never forgets to spend time with her family. Moreover, if she has taken a long break from her busy life, then she plans to travel to destinations. Reading books and watching movies are some other hobbies she pursues at leisure. If she is not delivering any news in front of the camera, you will observe her dressed in casual outfits like jeans, skirts, or Salwar Kameez. While she has been watching Bollywood movies for quite some time, her favorite actor is none other than Mr. Amitabh Bachchan.
Social Media Profiles of Sonia Singh
Unlike many individuals, Sonia Singh is not quite active on social media. However, you can check out some of her tweets on Twitter. When you go through the Twitter profile of this journalist, you will notice a few tweets that signify her love for cricket. You will also observe some tweets regarding breaking news across the globe.
Facts Regarding Sonia Singh
- While Sonia Singh was pursuing her Master’s in English Literature from St. Stephens College, Delhi, she secured the highest marks and was the topper in English Literature. Moreover, she also completed her graduation with first class in her final exams.
- When Sonia started her career in journalism, she said that she was nervous and felt uneasy when she used to face the camera. However, as time passed, she became used to the flashlight and grew confident while presenting the news.
- As Sonia pursued her studies in Cardiff, she attained the Chevening Scholarship. Besides, she was happy to meet Queen Elizabeth when she was living in the UK.
- In 2019, Sonia was proud to publish her book named ‘Defining India, Through Their Eyes. If you go through the book, then you will know more about how influential personalities of India have helped to enhance the overall development and growth of India. In addition, you will also know how the personalities have expressed their views about India.
- Soon after the actor Sushant Singh Rajput’s death case, Sonia chatted with Rhea Chakraborty on NDTV India in 2020. In this way, the news anchor could disclose more about the case while other news channels were denying that Rhea was the main murderer.
- Even though Sonia Singh was brought up in a family settled in North India, she states that she is not proficient in Hindi. While many individuals still wonder why she said this, it is a trend that women must pretend that they don’t know how to communicate in the most popular language. Eventually, when people hear about this, many of them will be comfortable interacting with the journalist.
- When Sonia attended an interview, ‘She the People, she already stated her views regarding the democracy of Indian television. She said that even when people consider television the greatest asset, it can’t be a medium or mode to present anything to the powerful. This is something that people must safeguard as it can challenge the prime idea of democracy.
- In addition to hosting many shows on the news channel, Sonia has also interviewed Dalai Lama. As per the conversation with one of the team members of Verve, she said that she was fascinated with Dalai Lama’s vibrancy and youthfulness. Even though Dalai Lama is pious, he still carries himself with a sense of fun as he paces ahead in his life. Apart from being compassionate, the personality is a good individual many people will not find easily in the world.
- During an interview, Sonia Singh stated that she always loved reading books. Whenever she wants to relax and rejuvenate herself after a stressful day, she will think about reading books by the Irish novelist Maeve Binchy. She also said that she loves reading books by the Irish novelist even when people say that a person shouldn’t read books once their age is 25 years.
- In 2013, Sonia Singh covered more about ASER 2012. As per her observation, more than 50% of children studying in the fifth standard cannot read properly. This means that the learning levels in government schools are slowly declining with time.
- While Sonia Singh continues to work with NDTV India, she was selected as one of the members of the jury. People had invited her to the 10th Edition of the Corporate Communications and India PR Awards. The event was held on 20th December 2019 in Shangri La, Delhi.
- In an interview with Verve Magazine, Sonia said she would like to interview Jayalalithaa. She will also think about shooting a series someday when she interacts with many women politicians like Mayawati and Sonia Gandhi. In the same interview, Sonia also said that she would have liked to work with India Today as a print journalist. If she hadn’t thought of working with NDTV India, this goal would have been on her mind.
- After going through the news on Ground Report, it seems that people will consider Sonia Singh as a BJP candidate for the elections that are going to approach soon. Such a piece of news was published on 25th January 2022. However, we are not quite sure whether Sonia will join BJP in the future.
- Sonia Singh has now been chosen as one of the speakers for the ‘Jaipur Literature Festival. Such a kind of festival will be held between the 19th and 23rd of January 2023.
Yes, Sonia Singh is married to the Congress leader, Ratanjit Pratap Narain Singh. Currently, she is staying with her husband and nurturing three daughters named Yaamini, Suhaani, and Raagini.
Sonia Singh has been working in journalism for more than 20 years. She joined NDTV India as a researcher in 1992.
As Sonia Singh was born on 21st September 1970, her current age is 53 years.
Currently, Sonia Singh is working with NDTV India as an Editorial Director. While working with the news channel as an anchor, she is also the host of the show, ‘The NDTV Dialogues.
Apart from working as an editorial director, Sonia Singh also serves the role of President of the ethics committee associated with NDTV. She has also written a book named ‘Defining India: Through Their Eyes.